Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Don't search for the lost. Let God lead you to them.

I think a common idea about the great commission, is that we have to go out and find the lost people on our own. The people that will listen, will listen, and the people who won't, won't. Once we get one person saved, we move onto the next. And if we need help, then we can call on God and he'll make everything right. Well that's not exactly true.

John 6:44 says "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day."

No body can come to Christ on their own. They can't simply choose to follow Jesus, God the Father has to draw them first. So what does that mean for us?

Well for us that means that we can't save anyone on our own. Spreading the gospel isn't enough to get someone saved. God has to be drawing them to Jesus, or else our message will bounce right off them.

 We put so much focus on reaching lost people and spreading the gospel, going on missions to different countries and cities, having door-to-door ministries, and witnessing through social apps/networks like Facebook and Instagram, but when God is drawing someone to Christ, right in front of our eyes, and trying to get us involved, we don't even take notice.

It's because we're looking at things all wrong. We don't need to go out and find people on our own. We need to allow God to lead us to the people we wants us to meet individually. Lead you to the people he wants you to reach. Or sometimes, he will lead them to you. And let's face it, it will most likely be only one or two people God will lead you to at a time, and there is nothing wrong with that.(it may be different for you, but that's just what I've mostly seen from the bible) Each person is worth more than just a number, that you add together to see how many people you've lead to Christ. That is a life that Jesus is going to radically change, through you. That life is going to branch out, and change other lives, who will in turn branch out and change even more lives, and those lives will branch out, and so on.

Bad things may happen, yes. But nothing is out of God's control. God draws different people to Jesus at different times. It's up to us to recognize where, and who God is working in, and join him.

If we aren't working where God is working, we're basically useless.

John 15:5-7
New International Version (NIV)
5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
 I'm not saying to drop the missions trips or ministries or anything like that, keep it up! But make sure God is leading you to do that, and working through you.

Like stated above, if you don't remain in Jesus, you can become like a branch that withers, is thrown away, and then burned. A branch the produces no fruit.

But if you remain in Jesus, and work with him, allowing him to guide you to where you need to be, and what you need to do, then you will produce abundant fruit. Meaning that(for me anyway) you will be able to look back, and see the results of what Jesus has done in both your, and other people's lives.

I hope this changed your way at looking at how God works, and how he wants us to respond.

He's never going to hand us a task, and then leave us to do it ourselves. Just like with Moses, Paul, Elijah, David, Abraham, the Disciples, and countless other characters in the bible, God is going to be with you, look after you, and instruct you, every step of the journey.

Have a great day! And God bless! :]

Oh, and this is originally from a devotional book I've been doing called Experiencing God, Youth Edition. It's a really great book and really helps you get to know and experience God.

The topic and John 6:44 were both from the book, I just put in my own words.

But either way, the glory all goes back to God, for revealing how he works and letting it be known. :D

7 comments:

  1. You can get a hearty "amen" from me! Great post bro! Keep it up! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Paul! Such a true post! Thanks for the wake-up call! It was exactly what I was needing today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And no problem!! This is just something that God allowed me to see and I wanted to share with you guys! It all goes back to him! :]

      Delete
  3. This really woke me up! Something I definitely needed to read. You should write a book! Lol. You're posts are amazing. Keep letting God use you Langston!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha thanks!! And no problem, it all goes back to God!

      Delete
  4. This is amazing. Without him we can do nothing. I have learn something today. Thank you for the post..

    ReplyDelete