Friday, March 9, 2012

Pray for your friends. (John 17:9)

Don't be afraid to pray for you friends!! This is a follow-up on my most recent post "Don't search for the lost, let God lead you to them." It was based on John 6:44: "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day."

But that doesn't mean we have to sit and and be 100% helpless. YES, we need to be patient and wait for God and what he has planned. But we can also PRAY. We can pray that God draws a certain person or people to Jesus. Prayer works. And it's powerful.  

John 15: 7-8 says "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." (NIV)

Let's get one thing straight though, prayer isn't a magic wand that can fix anything and give you whatever you want.
"If you remain in me and my words in you.." 
For me personally, that means you need to think like Jesus would. 
If you remain in him, and keep his words in you, then you will think more like he does.If you pray for something that Jesus probably would pray for, than you can expect it to be granted. 
If you pray for something that you don't see Jesus praying for, then chances are that it won't happen. But also keep on mind that you should base this on scripture, not on your own personal idea of what Jesus would do.
That's what confuses a lot of people.

Anyways, the reason I stress praying for your friend's so badly, is because that's something Jesus did.
John 17:9: "I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours." (NIV) 

When Jesus was praying this, he was talking about his disciples.
We should do that too. Yes, without a doubt we should pray for the world. But we should also pray for those who God has placed in our lives. We can't put all our efforts into praying for people half a world away, while our friends next door, are dying inside everyday.
We have to lift our friends and family up in prayer. God put them in our lives for a reason, and that reason isn't to watch them slowly fade away.

So I want you to know that:
1) Prayer works. 
2) We should pray as Jesus would pray.
3) We should pray not only for the world, but the ones close to us. Whether it's for God to draw them to Christ, whether its for healing, for strength, for peace, whatever the reason. We should pray for those God has given us, because they are his.

Keep those in mind, especially #3.
Have a great day, and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment