Friday, September 21, 2012

Brokenness


I know most people tend think brokenness is a bad thing. It isn't. In fact, it could be one of the best things to happen to you. That is, if you have Christ.

I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord. 2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows. 3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— 4 was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell. 5 I will boast about a man like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses. 6 Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say, 7 or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:1-10)
"For when I am weak, I am strong." If you read last week's post, titled Strength; you'll probably recognize that verse. (Seriously, the verse applies on so many levels.) In the passage above, Paul is basically saying that despite all his accomplishments, all he's been through, all the people he's been used to save and all he's done; he will brag about nothing except his own weakness.

To get the full impact of this, remember Paul is probably one of the most powerful and influencial Christians to walk the earth. If we catagorized all Believers, past, future, and present; Paul would probably be labeled under something like "Spiritual Giants."
Now, despite all this, Paul writes in his second letter to the Corinthians that he will boast only about his weaknesses. No bragging to other Christians about all the work he's done for Christ, no going on and on about how much he's suffered, no putting others down because they haven't worked as hard, no constantly reminding others of all the things God's revealed to him, etc.
Although Paul does describe some of the things we went through earlier in the letter, he does this solely out of defense of himself and his ministry, specifically from false teachers who've actively been trying to trash his reputation.

So, what exactly does all this have to do with feeling broken?

Try "everything."

We shouldn't try to hide our weaknesses from ourselves or act like we have it all together, when we obviously don't. It's okay to feel upset, angry, sad, lonely, pain, disappointment, lust, bitterness, etc. It's not okay to let those feelings or emotions influence your actions, thoughts, or decisions. But we're all going to experience those feelings sometime. The difference is whether we're open and let God handle it, or if we try to cover it up and overcome the issues ourselves.

Like I said in last week's post, we should rely on God for our strength. That also means we should be able to boast in our own weaknesses. I am a broken person. I struggule with sin and they're some times when emotions like depression or anxiety try to take hold of me. But Christ gives me strength to shrug off those things and press on forward down the path he has for me. And in realization of this, I'm becoming much more content and relaxed about who I am in Christ and just about life and God in general. When you're true to yourself, and have faith in the right Person, God opens doors and breaks down barriers in ways only he can. Paul was saying that he boasts in his weaknesses, because it's when he is weak that he is strong. It's the same when feeling broken. At your weakest point, you're actually your strongest; because you're relying more heavily on God and on Him to carry you through, instead of trying to power it out on your own. Boasting on your failures and mistakes reminds yourself that you're not perfect, that you don't always have it all together, and that you need God's help. That's the position you need to be in, if you really want to experience God in your life.

So be honest with yourself, and with God. You're either perfect or broken; there's no in-between. You can fake perfection, driving yourself insane trying to prove you're fine; or you can boast in your weakness, and make it known that it's in Christ alone your strength is found.

Have a great day and God bless!

1 comment:

  1. Do good and expect nothing the good deeds you have done to others will do come back to you soon have faith in your creator.

    ReplyDelete