Tuesday, October 2, 2012
Dealing with Doubts
Posted by Hannah
"God, why don't you just give up on all the atheists and agnostics? God it's impossible for them to have faith. Just quit trying because they're never going to turn to you."
And then, the gentle answer came back from the King.
"I didn't give up on you."
I asked God's forgiveness for my small belief and lack of faith. Maybe God really meant what he said in Luke 1:37. For nothing is impossible with God. God didn't give up on me, and he won't give up on the atheists and agnostics. Even if I ask him to ;)
So anyway, here are a few tips to help us deal with doubts as Christians. These are some of the things that helped me when I've doubted the Lord.
1. Pray! Even if you think you're talking to a wall. Ask God to give you faith. Let him know (even though he already does) about your doubts and what your feeling. He cares about you! He wants you to have assurance and to feel comfort. Some people think that God doesn't care about what we think, or how we feel. In Matthew 11:2-5, John the Baptist has doubts about Jesus. He wonders if Jesus really is the Messiah. And instead of Jesus rebuking him for his lack of faith he encourages him. Jesus wants to encourage us also when we doubt him.
2. Sing! I don't why but singing to a good Christian song and feeling the presence of the Holy Spirit really gives me comfort and peace.
3. Continue to go to church. Hanging out with a strong group of believers will strengthen your faith. Ask the youth pastor to pray for you and tell others what you're feeling. Be real!
4. Doubt your doubts. Fight back against that voice in your head that's telling you lies about God. Stand firm in your faith and ask God to help you.
5. Read the Bible. Dig into the Word of truth. Ask God to reveal things to you in his Word. There's nothing like the feeling of power you get from holding the sword in your hands! God knows exactly where you are with your faith. He wants to comfort you, and give you assurance.
These are five tips that have helped me with my faith in the Lord Jesus. Also, thinking back to amazing stories of faith in the Bible have helped me grow. Remember the Lord wants you to be assured. He wants you to have faith. I think that God's hardest job is to get us to trust him.
The amount of trust you have in Jesus, determines the amount of joy you'll have in life.
When we trust in Jesus we will still have trials and tribulations. The Bible promises that. But if we have truly put our faith and our trust in Jesus, than we should have peace and joy in knowing that we have eternal life. We shouldn't doubt or worry because Jesus is the Prince of Peace. And when you have the Prince of Peace living inside you, it's hard to worry and doubt.
Have a blessed day!